Friday, September 11, 2009

The new love of my life - my slow cooker!

I love love LOVE my new slow cooker! Ok so I know they've been around since the '70's (the humble Crock Pot) and have been enjoying a resurgence in popularity for a while, but I've always been a bit slow to adopt trends so forgive my enthusiasm.
 I'm all for anything that makes life easier and these babies are at the top of my list. Just throw the ingredients in the pot in the morning and turn it on low, 8 hours later and ta da.... a cooked meal with little effort. Or, if like me you find it hard to get your act together until midday or beyond, put the slow cooker on high and 4 to 5 hours later you're set! And the smells that permeate through the house are divine! Here's my fave slow cooker recipe at the moment:


Slow Cooked Corned Beef


500g Corned Beef (or near enough size)
1 whole peeled onion
A few cloves (spice variety not garlic)
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar


Simply place the corned beef in the cooker and add enough water to cover. Add the vinegar and brown sugar and throw in the onion whole with the cloves sticking out of it (I didn't have any cloves in the cupboard so sprinkled a bit of Allspice which has the same aroma). Put on low for around 8 hours, or 4 to 5 hours on high if you can't prepare it until the afternoon.


Absolutely delish and now fiance has left over corned beef for sandwiches to take to work. You can also freeze the cooked corned beef if you have a lot left over.


Happy slow cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment